Know your rights
Avoid if unlawfully present
Even if you currently have no options for legalization, some things you do now could eliminate options for legalization that you might have in the future. You need to know what those things are so you can avoid them.
Options for Legalization Available Now
- AOS or Waiver
- Married to US citizen or permanent resident.
- Afraid of persecution in home country.
- Petition (I-130/I-140) for alien filed before Apr 30, 2001.
- Cancellation of Removal
- Present 10 years. US citizen or LPR parent, spouse, child.
- Your country placed on TPS list after natural disaster or war.
- Victims, Witnesses, & Other
- Victim of severe trafficking, slavery or domestic violence.
These tests are designed to help you understand some basic information about your case so you can begin educating yourself about your options and so you can facilitate your search for the right attorney.
Waiting for Reform
While waiting for reform, gather official copies of your vital records, and volunteer time and/or donate money to one of the immigration advocacy organizations, such as religious organizations, National Council of La Raza or American Families United.